Forums General News and Announcements
  • Topic: Ambit Energy Class Action Lawsuit?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 4, 2014 6:59 AM PST
    • Ambit Energy Class Action Lawsuit?

Yesterday a new clipping landed in my inbox about Ambit Energy being "hit with a class action lawsuit in New Jersey."

The source is a site called Law360, dated December 2, 2014, and to paraphrase it says that Ambit Enery was "hit" on Monday with a putative class action lawsuit in New Jersey federal court, and that the lawsuit claims the company lured companies with promises of lowered utility bills and them "slammed them" with high rates.

The suit was initiated by Michael Urbino of New Jersey and Brian Whitney of New York. I guess all it takes it two to start a class action.

What I found really odd was that when I started trying to research it, I found another press release from August 20, 2014, also on the Law360 site. It starts virtually verbatim, stating that Ambit Energy was "hit" on Tuesday with a class action lawsuit by named plaintiff Michael Urbino, making the same claims.

In my experience a suit is filed once, not twice. The case number ( 3:14-cv-05184 ) is the same, perhaps it was just an amended filing and the plaintiff/s are seeking more exposure for their case.

Case Name: URBINO v. AMBIT ENERGY, L.P. et al

The judge in the case is Michael A. Shipp. The filing date on both releases says August 19, 2014. The law firm has changed from Cuneo Gilbert to Wittels Law.

Does anyone have any further details on this?

X

• December 7, 2014 11:29 AM PST

Guess those in region didn't realize that energy prices rose 43% last winter across the board, so I doubt this case will go anywhere with just two named in class action. lol

Success to all,

BEST FREE & EASY MONEY SAVING RECESSION PROOF BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES

WHICH SAVE EVERYONE MONEY & PROVIDE CONCLUSIVE RESULTS INSTANTLY

http://FREE-STREAM-TV.com     http://JUST-PRUVIT.com     http://ASTHMA-FREE-HOME.com

• December 7, 2014 1:39 PM PST

I'm right with you O'Sullivan.

Something about this just doesn't pass the sniff test.

If the suit was filed in August, why is there already a new attorney/firm, and the two same plaintiffs?

Let's face it, we live in a time when you can file a lawsuit against anyone at anytime, as long as the target has potential funds in the bank.

Curious to see where this goes.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel