Forums Work From Home Business Forums Beachbody Forum
  • Topic: Beachbody P90X

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 20, 2011 4:45 AM PST
    • Beachbody P90X

Hello, I've been looking for something proven to be very affective and from what I've researched, this is one of the toughest workouts on the market. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is something a tough 50+ man in good health, could do. I've put on a bit of weight this year but I don't smoke, I have low cholesterol and blood pressure and I would love to find a workout that would bring back the body I had in my army days. I realize my age limits that to a degree, but I'd like to really change my life in this area and I'm willing to dedicate myself to it if the Beachbody P90X is the way to do it.

I'm well situated financially and already involved with a great MLM so I have no interest in becoming a distributor but I am very interested in Beachbody products.

Can the Beachbody P90x workout be done at a beginner's pace or is this work out simply designed for those already conditioned for high impact intensity? Does the workout require the use of extras such as a jump rope, mat, stretch bands or weights? Lastly, does it include hard to learn dance moves and more advanced forms of coordination? I have had trouble in the past not with a movement itself, but memorizing specific chains and found them frustrating.

If anyone familiar with the Beachbody P90X workout can answer some of these questions I would e quite grateful, thank you.

-TW

• February 20, 2011 6:38 AM PST
    • Beachbody P90X

I saw the Beachbody P90X informercial when I was in a hotel traveling on business. ( I did not feel like dropping 14 bucks to watch a movie on the hotel Pay Per View ).

Before seeing the informercial, I had heard of P90X but kind of thought it was a joke.

After watching the P90X infomercial I realized two things: 1) I had never watched an entire informercial before, so it was shocking that I did 2) The Beachbody P90X informercial didn't come across all cheezy like a slap chop or shamwow infomercial. Production quality was excellent. Message was clear. I ordered the P90X DVDs online when I returned home.

I think Team Beachbody is actually the affiliate marketing/MLM divisision of BeachBody. You don't have to be a member to buy the DVDs directly from Beachbody.

The DVD set came complete with a nutritional meal guide and a chart for keeping track of your progress, and a book outlining all of the workouts and explaining each one ( there are actually three - P90X lean, P90X Normal, and P90X Extreme ).

I opted for the regular P90X workout. I considered myself to be in decent shape, but wanted to drop about 15 pounds. I play softball two nights a week. I get some cardio which is immediately offset by the coors light in the parking lot after the games.

I followed the instructions and just tried to make it through as much of each workout as I could each day. The first week was brutal. I discovered I was not in the great shape I thought I was, but by the end of the first week I felt better than I had in years. Honestly, I attribute part of that to just the fact that I was getting in about an hours workout every single day. Some of P90X workouts I could not complete that first week - Plyometrics in particular, and the Ab Ripper workout which you do on the first, third and fifth day of the week was very difficult. I just pushed as hard as I could.

Beachbody P90X will definitely make you break a sweat. By week two I felt great. The recommended meals and between meal snacks ( usually nuts, or cottage cheese ) were pretty good, one or two were dogs but I just substituted other ones. I kept feeling better and better. I dropped 14 pounds in four weeks, meeting my goal easily. I probably would have dropped it faster if I'd quit drinking the coors light.

I really liked the way Beachbody layed out the meal options and how each meal hits on specific combinations your body needs like the carbs and protien in proper proportions to match your modified metabolism so you're firing on all cylinders. Working out every day definitely made me sleep better too.

You can definitely do this at a beginners pace. There is really nothing high impact. Plyometrics does have a lot of jump routines, but you can sub the cardio workout which is low impace and get similar results.

I did get kind of annoyed hearing Tony Horton's patter over and over again once I started repeating the videos each week ( you go through six a week ) but there is a setting just for the audio cues without having to hear the chatter. It was kind of funny at first in an awkward way, and much respect to Tony, but I liked it better after with my own music and just following along.

You can do the entire workouts with usually just a stretch bands. You can also do them with barbells and a chin up bar, but not required. They use a chin up bar in a lot of the workouts, but I switched to the bands, same results without having to try to overdo it with pullups.

The ab ripper is done on a mat, but you could do it just as easily on the floor with a couple of towels. Average yoga mat runs about 15 bucks.

Oh, the one workout I tossed was the Yoga. I did the Kempo twice a week instead. I think the Yoga is in there to give you a stretch and your body a rest, but I just hated it. Too slow, too much balancing and I didn't have the patience to keep doing the downward dog or whatever.

But all in all one of the best investments I ever made. Getting ready to go through the program again.

• February 23, 2011 5:52 AM PST
    • Beachbody P90X

Wow, very you made me want to try it August. I've been into weight training on and off throughout the years, usually only lasting in two year spirts but I'm kind of getting to an age where I'd like to work the one area I have done my absolute best to ignore, and that's cardio. From the sounds of it Travis you could probably outrun me and I'm going on 34 this Friday.

I think I have partly chosen weights over cardio because its a bit easier for me. Strong as an ox but very poor stamina. I might just try to get my hands on the p90x and give it a year or so. I had a car accident in my late 20's that really changed my life in regard to fitness and I think a new routine proven to be effective might just be what I need.

Thanks for the info August, and Travis please let us know how you make out, I think your question was actually a great one because there are a lot of people in your age group looking for new ways to get fit, and there is never a better time to do it than when you're motivated. I hope to see an update from you.

• February 23, 2011 11:16 PM PST
    • Beachbody P90X

I couldn't do it :(

My daughter purchased a p90x DVD and we had planned on starting to exercise together but this just really put me off the charts. I'm not overweight at all but when I tried to even keep up I began to feel sick so I had to stop. From what little I could accomplish, my hips, back, and lower backside really hurt and I'm sure its because I am so out of shape but my goodness I think I need to start with something lighter and maybe I could gradually work my way up but I'm just not certain. My daughter on the other hand, blew through it as if she was the star and still does it. She looks wonderful and I have no doubt that the workout is very, very good for younger people.

• February 26, 2011 3:24 AM PST
    • Beachbody P90X

Hi everyone, I wanted to say thank you for all the great feedback, especially to you August. What I've decided to do, is cut out the pale ale on Friday night, in addition to cutting my carbs in half. My wife and I are generally big on rice and pasta, but it seems to be the downfall of what would otherwise be a much healthier body weight. I think doing this will help me drop about 20 pounds, which is what I'd like to lose before I go through with the Beachbody P90x. I'm a pretty tough old bird and I know I'll be fine if I can condition myself for it.

Once I begin the program I can modify my diet once again to the way it outlines the eating plan. Softball is probably a fantastic way to help keep fit, unfortunately with my schedule I just can't seem to fit any serious engagements, especially after I squeeze in this new regimen. I can definitely relate to the voice issue, and it makes me wonder if these things are considered during the production of the videos and if any regulation takes place at all. I used to do a version of the firm with a girl from the south as the host, and while I mean no offense at all to anyone from the south or with a southern accent, the pitch of her voice in combination with her accent was just too much for me and at times I had a difficult time understanding her directions.

I'm hoping that the ab routine won't be too much for me, I sometimes experience a bit of paint in an area of my chest whenever I am in the motion of a sit up or getting out of bed due to an open heart surgery I had a few years back. I can do them but I can't push it terribly hard, or the area of the incision tends to give off a fairly sharp pain. Linda, I'm sorry you had trouble with this and I can only hope I manage to succeed, I've heard from quite a few people that this is the real deal and will make you feel like you're being hammered into shape hard. I'll be more than happy to keep up with the thread once I get going so please take care all, and I'll update in a couple of months.

Best regards,

Travis.

• February 26, 2011 8:20 AM PST
    • Beachbody P90X

I tried Beachbody P90X and just couldn't finish it on my own. I am clearly the type of person who needs a personal trainer to keep me motivated.

• February 27, 2011 9:06 PM PST
    • Beachbody P90X

Oh hell this isn't for the easy goin Travis, my wife and I gave this a try a while back an I about passed out on the spot. I will say that maybe now while I'm in better shape, I might be able to put up a better fight but back then I tried it before getting involved with Isagenix and it was something way out of my league. I felt like throwing up, passing out and curling up in pain all at once lol, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not much for this kind of stuff. I hope you succeed Travis, and along with the others, look forward to hearing and possibly seeing your results.

Good luck man!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel