Forums Scams Business Scams
  • Topic: Kevin Trudeau Scam

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 16, 2010 1:46 AM PDT
    • Kevin Trudeau Scam

Speaking of scams, does anyone have any info on the latest Kevin Trudeau Scam?

I hear he is back in business. With his history with the SEC and FTC, I'm am utterly surprised that he continues to operate in the public eye.

• April 16, 2010 8:53 AM PDT
    • Kevin Trudeau Scam

Kevin Trudeau has a long and colorful history, and that's probably why the "Kevin Trudeau Scam" is searched so often.

Kevin has promoted many deals and apparently made several fortunes. He has also run into a considerable amount of trouble with the FTC as well as being convicted of some serious felonies.

Kevin's initial entry into multi-level marketing appears to be with Nutrition for Life, his partner being a fellow inmate that he met in prison.

Kevin's self-published book "Natural Cures They Don't Want You To Know About" seems to be his initial claim to fame. He touted it via informercials.  In 2005 the New York State Consumer Protection Board issued a warning that the book contained no actual cures, just a lot of speculation. One of the funniest things ( and probably a great judge of Kevin Trudeau's character ) is that the dust jacket of the book included an endorsement from an FDA commissioner - who had been dead several years before the book was published. Maybe Kevin should have published a book called "Endorsements from the Afterlife: My Conversations with Herbert Ley".

Kevin published a followup book with a similar title, then jumped on the Weight Loss bandwagon with "The Weight Loss Cure They Don't Want You to Know About".  The book was based on a plan from the 1950s. Before the book was published, the FTC had already ordered clinics and promoters of the original diet to inform prospective patients that there was no substantial evidence that it offered any benefit besides those you would get by simply restricting your caloric intake. 

Other follow ups included "Debt Cures they Dont Want You to Know About" and "Money Making Secrets They Dont Want You to Know About"

Another better title may have been "Don't Pick Up The Soap and Other Prison Secrets They Don't Want You To Know About".

Kevin Trudeau's Scam troubles seem to have begun in 1990, when he deposited close to $100,000 in fake checks. He pleaded guilty. He'd also used the credit cards of several people from his "mega memory" product to run up bogus charges of another $100,000.  He did a two year stretch in the Fed Pen for these activities. ( He may have written "The Federal Penitentiary: It's not the Country Club "They" Say It Is".

After that, Kevin started having serious run-ins with the SEC and the FTC.

He settled in 1996 with the states of Illinois and Michigan and the SEC for operating an illegal pyramid scheme. The settlement was in excess of $150,000. 

The FTC fined him $500,000 in 1998 for his actions relating to misleading claims in his informercials. (Mega Memory System, Addiction Breaking System, Action Reading, Eden's Secret, and Mega Reading).

His company Shop America was whacked by the FTC for claiming his Coral Calcium product claims were false and misleading. He didn't comply, and was held in contempt for continuing to make the claims via an informerical and direct mail. The net result was a $2,000,000 ( Yes, Two Million ) to settle charges that he claimed the coral calcium product could cure cancer. He also agreed to a LIFETIME BAN from promoting products using informercials.

Most recently, Mr. Trudeau was arrested for criminal contempt in his pending case before the US District Court. He spent 30 days in jail, and the matter is still pending.

Does all this mean that anything that Kevin Trudeau is associated with is a scam? Like anyone charismatic enough to fool people over and over and over again, I'm sure he has plenty of sheeple willing to proclaim how misunderstood he is and how his products really did cure cancer but "THEY" shut him down because of all the things "THEY" didn't want you to know.

Kevin Trudeau's newest deal seems to be the Global Information Network ( GIN ). I haven't researched yet exactly what the association is, but Global Information Network seems to be a "non-profit" whose founders are ... anonymous. The fee to join is around $1000 and a $150 a month dues scheme. Not sure what the product even is, if anyone does, please enlighten.

Even with all this info on the Internet, which makes it so much easier to track scammers and scams, people will just ignore it because the scammer can look them straight in the eye and say:

"It's all untrue". And who knows. Maybe there is another Kevin Trudeau out there. Or maybe he has an evil twin. Stranger things have happened. On soap operas...

• April 16, 2010 9:01 AM PDT
    • Kevin Trudeau Scam

The Global Information Network website claims that it allows ordinary people to access secret information kept by the worlds most influential people.

Organizations like the Illuminati, Skull and Bones, Freemasons, and so on.

I would sort of think that if they were revealing the secrets of these 'top secret' groups that some of their 'top secret' influential members might be a bit upset.

To join Kevin Trudeau's Global Information Network ( aka Kevin Trudeau's Scam ) you pay an $1000 'initiation fee' and  $150 a month in 'monthly dues'.

With Kevin's history, will it really be that long before some agent of the FTC or SEC ( who actually is 'top secret' ) pays the fees and infiltrates the company to see what exactly it is being offered? I would have to imagine that any Kevin Trudeau Scam would be high on their list for investigations. He seems to already have provided them with quite a stream of income in terms of fines paid over the years.

I hope some of the people the FTC claims were scammed got restitution.

• November 21, 2011 10:53 AM PST
    • Kevin Trudeau Scam

Good stuff. So he really met this guy in prison? Wow. The guy is gifted being a con. Clean cut well-spoken,a  face you can trust and getting you on your health fears.

• April 22, 2010 1:44 AM PDT
    • Kevin Trudeau Scam

With Kevin's history, will it really be that long before some agent of the FTC or SEC ( who actually is 'top secret' ) pays the fees and infiltrates the company to see what exactly it is being offered? I would have to imagine that any Kevin Trudeau Scam would be high on their list for investigations. He seems to already have provided them with quite a stream of income in terms of fines paid over the years.

I hope some of the people the FTC claims were scammed got restitution.

It will not matter. The company is located in St. Kitts, a haven for offshore banking. The money will be untouchable.

Kevin Trudeau has already had multipe six figure fines from federal agencies. Maybe he's decided to keep the money elsewhere this time around.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel