Forums Scams MLM Scams
  • Topic: MLM Scam

Back To Topics
    (1 rate)
    • February 9, 2011 11:01 PM PST
    • MLM Scam

Hi everyone, I'd like to take the time to go over a few companies that I have been really curious about joining, I feel that perhaps the time I've spent with my current MLM company has grown stale and that it might just be best to let it go. I have been a part of Wealth Masters International for quite some time, and while I have had some success, things have been changing in regard to policies and practices that I think I would prefer to leave out of this discussion, after all, this is the beginning of a new direction for me.

When I first began my journey 10 years ago in the weight loss and nutritional market, I explored various MLM opportunities, leaving many of them dismissed as scams and possibly situations that I might find myself making immoral decisions. I have always strived to be honest, and I have always valued my own integrity, but things began to slowly shift. I noticed that as time went on, my willingness to stretch boundaries, push a little harder, talk a little faster, and stay in a gray area for longer periods of time became commonplace. Eventually, I found myself having changed a great deal. I was signing nervous people up for plans I knew they could not afford, coaxing them into buying products that I felt deep down inside weren't good for them, products I would never ever use myself. I started to feel different inside, and this past year it has all caught up to me, and I am dropping out.

Don't worry, I'm not here to preach to anyone, I'm here because I still love certain aspects of sales, I love to sit down with new prospects and study them, listen to their needs, have great conversations, and treat them like friends, not just pretend. I want to find a product, a company, a comp plan that works for me, and most importantly, that I can believe in and sell to someone as if I have known them my whole life. Don't let the business is business mentality fool you, you know deep down inside when the money you make is healthy for the soul.

I've been out of the news loop for a long time now, I can see a vast array of new MLM's that have popped up, and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the prospects. Furthermore, there is almost too much information on the Internet for each one that I have no idea what is real and what is not. There are complaints about various companies that seem scary, others that seem absurd, while some of them have titles like Monavie scam, Numis Network Scam, Pre Paid Legal scam, and when you click on the link, its a company web site showing you why and how its not a scam.

My two daughters are grown now and have babies of their own, I am hard pressed to find a nutritional product that I think is not artificial, or bordering the line of unhealthy. I have been looking at Lia Sophia, Beauticontrol, Nuskin, Tastefully Simple, and a few other cosmetic and home fashion oriented companies.

What I was hoping to accomplish by posting here is to get some ideas and suggestions, especially from company reps that might not mind briefly introducing their company and maybe giving me a few examples of the benefits involved. I would very much appreciate the time and effort and sincerely thank you in advance. I will listen to everyone who makes suggestions and give each company an in-depth look.

Sincerely,

Linda C.

• February 16, 2011 7:54 AM PST
    • MLM Scam

I think it's important to identify what you mean by MLM Scam.  You can throw the scam label at virtually any MLM / Network Marketing / Home Party or Direct Sales company just by saying they have a multilevel commission structure, so they must be an MLM Scam.

And the scam term seems to be thrown around her quite frequently, but to me there are specific elements that make me question a company and form a personal opinion about their status as a "scam":

1. Management

Who are they and what are their backgrounds? Do they use vague references in their bios like "Started a multi-zillion dollar company" that for some reason they won't name. If I founded Google or Facebook, I sure as hell would be mentioning that by NAME in my bio. This is probably the number one red flag for me. If you have an awesome exectuive history, then put the facts out there in your bio.

2. No Address or Phone Number

No physical address or phone number on your website? Why not? If you are selling a product, why wouldn't you have it out there? It doesn't matter if it's your home office and a cell phone. Everyone can work from home now and you can run a large corporation from your closet via telecommuting. But when the info just isn't there, it's suspect.

3. Domain Registration by Proxy

No physical address or phone, and even the web registrant is secret? Something must be fishy.

4. All Hype, No Product

Speaks for itself. "It's going to be the biggest, most awesome, sizzling MLM company every launched"... Until next year after it fails and the same executives launch the bigger, more awesome-er, more sizzlerific MLM.

5. Hyping being Publicly Traded on the NASDAQ as Validation

I haven't seen a single new MLM company in a decade that launched, became super successful, then went through the process to become publicly traded unless it was done via "Reverse Merger". Take a bankrupt company shell, shuffle some paperwork, presto you are publicly traded. That's not validation. It may be an incentive to reps, more likely an incentive to management. Most of the time it just seems like a pump and dump money play.

Just my two cents. Probably only worth one.

• February 28, 2011 11:04 AM PST
    • MLM Scam

Hi Linda!

If you want to stay with a nutritional product have you looked at Visalus or Wild Tree?  I'm not a rep for either company but I know others who are.  If you would like some info, I can send you their contact information.  

Visalus is a line of protein shake and diet products designed to lose weight.  Their nutritional value outweighs most of the other "shakes" out there and they have been growing like weeds over the last year.  Wild Tree is a line of natural products of gourmet culinary blends, infused Grapeseed oils, dressings and sauces.  I actually just requested a catalog from someone and I was blown away with the quality and how nothing is made with synthetic products.

Anyway, good luck on your search to find a new company.  Let me know if I can help you find a potential sponsor so you can get more information.  

Take care,
      Ivette 

• March 26, 2011 1:45 PM PDT
    • MLM Scam

Hey Linda,

Congrats to you for having the courage to step up for what you believe in. I genuinely hope that you find the perfect company for you and the search is a short one!

I just recently endured a similar search to find my opportunity. I am a Numis Network rep from the Cincinnati area.(as you probably already know)

Along my search I evaluated almost every MLM/Direct Sales company I could get information on.

In an attempt to not come across as too "pitchy", I'd like to list a few of the determining factors on why Numis was right for me.   

1. Of the nearly 4800 active DS/MLM's out there nearly 90% are all "me too" nutritionals (ie;vitamins,potions,energy drinks, or juices)

While these are great for building emotional connections with prospects, I was ready for something different. With Numis there is no before and after photos or worries about the products working for someone. (Either you want more Gold and Silver or you don't) Which brings me to my next determining factor.

2. No competition

I tread on the topic lightly. I know, I know, others are quick to point out the fact that other MLM companies have tried (and failed) the marketing of gold and silver through MLM before. The major difference being our main products are graded coins not just bullion.

The market for graded coins in the U.S. is $10 Billion. Worldwide the market is $100 Billion.      No Competition, There is no Numismatic Wal-mart.......

3. I would love to have a garage full of the auto ship.

In my last deal I was constantly adjusting my monthly order so I could make sample packs to get rid of all the stuff. (Had a hard time giving it away)LOL.... We were constantly tripping over boxes in the house of product we didn't want. 

Now, we are all watching for the latest shipment with the coin of the month. Even my kids know and can not wait to get ahold of my latest coin.

That is a short list of the many reasons that led me to the Numis Network. I didn't even mention the money we earn, bonuses, trips, car program............. You get the idea.

Thanks for allowing me to add my two cents.

Good luck in your search!

Feel free to check out these links on the company, hassle free. I am not a prospect stalker (LOL)

Tony Fisher

My Numis Site

My Capture Page with testimonials

My Blog - Tony Fisher "The Blue Collar Networker"

• March 27, 2011 1:55 AM PDT
    • MLM Scam

Hi Linda

Here is an interesting product and opportunity that you might want to consider. I have been involved for 1 year and I absolutely love this team and opportunity!

www.thelegacyleaf.com

• June 23, 2011 11:08 PM PDT
    • MLM Scam

Hello Linda,

I'm probably a bit late as your thread has been running for a while now. Having been in the MLM industry for over 20 years I can sympathise with your feelings, although I have never left the industry as I have always felt that the basic principles behind it are right. Sadly the concept can be corrupted quite easily and not a few companies seem to think little of changing the rules over time.

Part of the problem when looking at the nutrition industry is finding good quality products and when you do they tend, naturally, to be more expensive which makes marketing more difficult. That problem faces any product that has competition in the marketplace, and there will always be the 'new' and more exciting product coming along trying to grab a share of your market.

Personally I'm not into selling products directly any more but I am really comfortable with giving away a free App that helps people save time and money browsing and buying on the internet, so that they can buy any product they choose at the best price. If you want to know more please have a look at my website http://tinyurl.com/5sekna8 .

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, MLM is still the best option for the average person to become a business owner.

Kind regards,

Chris.

• June 25, 2011 12:19 PM PDT
    • MLM Scam

Hi Linda

I am an Independent Member of Javita Coffee. If you would like to take a look at this opportunity please go to:

http:www.myjavita.com/Fallon

DRINK, SHARE, EARN!

Got any questions or would like to join in on a conference call to learn more or ask questions please feel free to click CONTACT ME on the website to arrange.

Fallon

• November 26, 2011 11:27 PM PST
    • MLM Scam

Curious what Linda ended up doing....anyone heard?

Jon R. Patrick

Total Life Changes - Nutrition & weight loss products including the "Miracle Tea". Established & debt free with 700% Growth past 2 years and Binary comp plan on steroids! Weekly pay on fast start and residual with $40 order and NO Sign Up Fee! 

Give Your Life Some TLC!

• February 14, 2011 9:25 PM PST
    • MLM Scam

Hey Linda, I know you may be something of a skeptic, but you seriously need to take a look at Evolv if you're looking at different opportunities. These forums are full of all kinds of negative people trying to say that its an Evolv scam, and its totally not. I've been involved with Evolv for awhile now and I make a very substantial portion of my income selling Evolv water to all kinds of people, those with a few health issues in particular make great clients, and the water does so much for them. Several of my friends have had problems with dry skin, scalp, even dehydration, and they had no idea they were even dehydrated! Others had chronic headaches, insomnia, bloating, and bleeding gums. They have all had amazing results with Evolv, and when you begin to see it for yourself, you will be convinced to.

Let me give you a basic run down of how it works:

The average person doesn't drink enough water, that's like a major fact, and you can look it up anywhere. The same average people don't take full breaths, they are literally suffocating slowly, depriving their dehydrated minds of oxygen and having all kinds of symptoms like forgetfulness, headaches, confusion, and depression. They end up going to the doctor for any number of useless and in some cases; dangerous medications that they're paying like way too much for!

That's where you come in with Evolv water. You round up all of these poor people and show them the science, show them the facts, and show them that there is no Evolv scam. Explain to them how dehydrated and deprived of oxygen they are, and then teach them about Evolv water, and get other clients that already had amazing success with it confirm the truth.

Let me tell you about the product and I bet you will see how fabulous it is for yourself.

Evolv is an enhanced water beverage that provides Archaea Active, a very special and like totally rare compound, mixed with natural spring water to initiate hydration, leading to increased stamina, energy and endurance, and helps with the absorption of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, proteins and other important nutrients as well.

Evolv water helps to speed up the recovery of fatigue from like working out to. Do you work out? It helps you maintain healthy circulation, which is probably important for anyone older than 30. It helps your immune system so you'll be less mucousy, it will increase your mental alertness from fatigue, and you will be less drowsy as a result.

Evolv has worked on this stuff for like 15 years! and they discovered alfalfa stems, leaves, milk whey and enzymes from pineapple and papaya as essential ingredients. There is no Evolv scam, its backed by studies from famous research centers and its even supported by testimonials from like real people.

It only costs $49.95 to get involved and I'm making a really good amount of money doing this, so please let me know if you want to get involved, I know you will think its as awesome as I do!

• February 17, 2011 7:49 AM PST
    • MLM Scam

Watchdog this is a fantastic post, what a great idea. Many of us really needed this post for better guidelines on the terms we use, as it can become very easy to label something a scam just by looking at a CEO's picture. I am the first to admit to a fairly strong bias when it comes to observing many of these companies, but I have been trying to be a lot more lenient and much less judge mental. I generally read most of your posts because you have a very sharp eye and much broader understanding of these companies than the average bear, more so than I especially.

Management is an excellent starting point, especially in regard to finding any individuals whom have made the grand list of business deviants involved in some of the more well known scams like TVI Express. Tarun Trika is an example of someone I would not so much as give my contact info to, were I to come across him. I wonder if maybe a special thread specifically designed for discussion about the more sinister individuals in the CEO world might be a good idea.

The mention of random, vague company names as bogus references, and a lack of specifics when it comes to bio's is also a fantastic point. A lack of address is one I noticed all too often when I was researching many of them for a good friend of mine. There are some with no phone numbers, no addresses, and no references at all, almost as if they don't exist aside from a story and a web page.

It never occurred to me about the domain registration by proxy. I can get on the Internet, I can build computers, but in general most people, including myself, wouldn't understand how to view such information. I would love a small example perhaps if you could show us where to look on a random web site.

I've seen a few "All Hype, No Product" situations, one anonymous company in particular has a product I'm about to test, to see if it lives up to the hype. It has been the longest pre-launch I've ever seen, I have debated reps, demanded more info that they simply couldn't/wouldn't divulge, and tried to contact them but could never get any relevant information. I will know pretty soon if the product even exists.

Number 5 on your list is another one that wouldn't have even dawned on me. I guess for a portion of people trying desperately to create the next big thing, they will go to any length to find recognition of any kind for their company, including creating a completely artificial appearance.

Excellent stuff as usual Watchdog.

• March 24, 2011 2:41 AM PDT
    • MLM Scam

No offense, but Visalus reps are like totally unstable, and I read that a wedding was ruined over an argument that had broken out because a girl was angry that her inlaw wouldn't join. I know like nothing about the tree one, maybe that one's cool, but you could really just save yourself the headache and go with Evolv, this an established MLM company with a proven track record and a quality product that you can sell and consume yourself. Why not use your own health as an example. Not to mention the fact that we have now joined forces with XOWii and now are like, completely unstoppable. Every day I end up with more and more spending money because of my Evolv business, and now I have access to an entirely new line of products to sell so I can visit my entire netowrk one by one all over again, that is AWESOME!

• June 25, 2011 8:07 AM PDT
    • MLM Scam

Hi Christopher, I clicked on your link but I am due to leave for work in a few minutes, would you mind giving me a brief run down of Shopping Genie, and exactly what it is that they offer?

• February 16, 2011 4:12 AM PST
    • MLM Scam

Ok Katie, I'll tell you what. I still think this a shambaroni, but I'm willing to try a sample of Evolv, and if I notice any results I'll be more than happy to discuss them here. How can I contact you in order to get a sample, do you have a business phone?

• February 18, 2011 3:43 AM PST
    • MLM Scam

Hi Rick, I you're really interested in Evolv water please email me at Katievolv@gmail.com and I will send you any information you need including my reference number incase you would like to join my team. I can send you a free sample as well if you would like to try Evolv water and I promise you that if you try just one water you will notice a difference right away Rick. This is not a scam, this is like a totally legitimate cure all for so many different things.

You will notice that the Evolv web site has all of its information visible, including scientifically proven results, real doctors and proof that people who consume at least 3 bottles of evolv a day have significantly less health problems than those that drink bad water. You don't even want to know what is in your water people, seriously.

I would also like everyone to know that Evolv water is accepting XOWII into its wonderful family, yay!!! XOWii does all those yummy shakes that help you diet and be thin............so I'm totally proud to know this is happening.

If anyone has any questions or wants to order Evolve please leave your contact info or email me at the above address, which again is Katievolv@gmail.com ...thankies!

• March 24, 2011 5:33 AM PDT
    • MLM Scam

Wow Katie, no offense, but you always seen to find the "worst" reps in every company.   

From what I've seen, this site is to help everyone their current company and provide information to help them make the best decision for themselves.   

If you'd like to find other potential Evolv reps to join you and your business, you might want want to try helping first, rather than only sharing your bad experiences. 

• March 28, 2011 1:31 PM PDT
    • MLM Scam

Feel free to contact me through www.thelegacyleaf.com 

I can show you how to get retail, wholesale, or free.

It's all about choices.

• February 20, 2011 3:36 AM PST
    • MLM Scam

"You will notice that the Evolv web site has all of its information visible, including scientifically proven results, real doctors and proof that people who consume at least 3 bottles of evolv a day have significantly less health problems than those that drink bad water.Actually Katie, that's not exactly true."

Yeah, not really lol...

Nowhere on the Evolv site is their address readily available. Instead they had a form you can fill out so that you can send them an email. That's not a very good way to make people feel confident that you are ready and willing to communicate with them. I'm not trying to pick on you, but did you actually know if any of those things you said is actually true?

This is about as "scientific" as it gets on the Evolv site:

"The Evolv water product and Evolv gel contain an all natural, proprietary formula called archaea active. There is a very interesting story behind the creation of Evolv Health, which includes the company’s involvement with a major third party biotechnology company named Futureceuticals"

Katie, no disrespect, but this is what we here in the MLM Repspace community use a very special term for, and its called: "Bullshit". There is no such thing as "archaea active" as anything other than a fantasy ingredient in relation to evolv. It's the equivelent of me mixing whey protein with kool aid powder and naming it "Wheyoxidaid Particles", then jamming it in some bottled fruit juice and designing a cool new label. A bit harsh, but you seem to throw around the word "science" a bit too loosely.

In regard to Xowii and Evolv getting together, I can't decide whether I think this is a good thing for them or a bad thing. I just read a press article about it which had Evolv Health saying that the planned transaction is consistent with it’s previously stated strategy of exploring more opportunities that strengthen it’s Evolv business model. It was more or less business speak for saying they found a way to make money together. It basically means that some 20,000 Xowii distributors will be able to trade names and suggestions for Evolv and vice versa, possibly even packaging products together or adding Evolv water to Xowii products and boosting the price a bit, or a lot, we'll see.

According to Trey White, the chairman of EvolvHealth, the company looks forward to welcoming Richard Kelly, James Christiansen, Josh Higginbotham, and all of  XOWii's distributors to the Evolv family. I wonder if this suggests that XOWii was somehow going down the tubes and Evolv found a means by which to boost profits with their product.

"Our goal was to expand our health offering in 2011 and XOWii had exactly what we were looking for, and much more. This new partnership is an exciting opportunity to reach new consumers and representatives and to generate significant growth for 2011 and beyond.” -Trey White

Either way, Xowii had a pretty strong launch just half a month before  Evolv and managed to rake in  $15 million. At least the new combined management claims that its 90 Day Challenge program which was pretty successful for Xowii will be introduced to all distributors of the combined company, so it will include Evolv. Another thing stated by Brent Hicks, the CEO of Evolv is that the joinign companies will be able to expand into  Canada, Mexico and eventually Colombia. It never occured to me that there was a strong market for this kind of stuff in Columbia, but I guess you learn something new every day.

I'm still wondering if one or both companies weren't doing quite as well as projected and decided to try to team up in order to stay afloat. Maybe one or more of their products weren't going to last much longer without some type of counter component. I'm curious to keep an eye on this and see what happens over the next year or so. I also wonder if the distributors are happy about the change, and in what ways it affects them.

Will you be willing to share your thoughts on this Katie, and were you aware that the combination of these two companies has the potential to rewrite specific guidelines in your compensation plan?

• March 25, 2011 12:38 AM PDT
    • MLM Scam

I have to agree with Ivette on this one Katie, I have been trying to go out of my way to be extra polite with my posts because I find myself a natural gravitate toward things that are argumentive, but I cant help but find myself wanting to tell you to take your Evolv and just....drink it :)

Incase no one has offered you a little insight on your posts, and how they come across, I'd like to offer the "objective" opinion that its almost hard to take you seriously because you constantly say things without any kind of positive reinforcement. On top of that, the very first thing you do after trashing something is replace it with your own product, which sort of screams bias, don't you think?

I know you aren't the only person here trying to offer products from your company,and I can understand pointing out the good and bad in any company, believe me, you won't find a harsher critic than myself, well ok maybe Rickdowns, but you can't trash companies or products based on a few posted stories that can't even be proven true or not. I can find more things wrong with Evolv and Evolv's REPS , than you have thus far with all of your posts combined, and let me tell you there is some serious negativity in your threads.

Anyway, just trying to show you a little tough love, please try to think before you speak, you don't want to come off as ignorant.....just saying.

• March 31, 2011 12:36 AM PDT
    • MLM Scam

Hey Scott is there any way to obtain a free sample? I don't want it to cost you anything, but if Zija has any kind of of sample mailing program for people to try it, I'd like to review it if possible, taste etc...

• June 29, 2011 4:46 AM PDT
    • MLM Scam

Great! Thank you very much, that was very helpful. I'll certainly look into this and include it among my other prospects. I have a few different areas of interest that I'm currently exploring. Once I pool them all together and get ready for decision time I'll no doubt make some progress.

• February 27, 2011 11:51 PM PST
    • MLM Scam

I am rejoicing to see some very good common sense in this thread because there seem to be so many people that will remain quiet until there is something of bad spirit to say about every person and every thing. These companies are not perfect, but it is important to really pay attention and not use words so loosely. This is getting to be very problem filled with people using the word "scam" for everything, and without research or defining what is a scam. I have come to learn a few standards about MLM companies that repeat over time, and that is how no company is without a few bad representatives that may lie or cheat in order to make a sale, this is a common thing I'm sure, but does it make the company a scam? No, it very much does not. Sometimes you might receive an order that is damaged, and maybe even have a difficult time getting a refund, but is that a scam? Certainly not at all. Perhaps it is true that you may lose all of your money investing in a bad company, and fail to make any money over the course of years, but again I ask, does this mean your company is a scam? NO :)

We must learn to be more diligent, patient and understanding in the world and how things work so that we do not slander and misrepresent the problems and difficulties in discussing companies and our experiences with them.

Love and peace

• March 25, 2011 2:17 AM PDT
    • MLM Scam

Hi Ivette! Thank you so much for the information,I have been looking at Wild Tree, what a great looking company that is. I was never really into organic eating until the last couple of years when I began to read labels and asky myself what in the world we put in our bodies! I never heard of Wild Tree but now that you have turned me onto them I wanted to actually try my hand at reviewing them and maybe doing a little profile like they do on these forum boards. Thank you so much for turning me on to them I actually think this might just be what I have been looking for this year.

<3

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel